Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.
Here are some examples of the types of personal information AIM may collect and how we may use it.
– When you create an AIM ID, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an AIM Retail Store, contact us or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, and credit card information.
– When you share your content with family and friends using AIM products, send gift certificates and products, or invite others to participate in AIM services or forums, AIM may collect the information you provide about those people such as name, mailing address, email address, and phone number. AIM will use such information to fulfill your requests, provide the relevant product or service, or for anti-fraud purposes.
– In the U.S., we may ask for a government issued ID in limited circumstances including when setting up a wireless account and activating your device, for the purpose of extending commercial credit, managing reservations, or as required by law.
– The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on AIM’s latest product announcements, software updates, and upcoming events. If you don’t want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out anytime by updating your preferences.
– We also use personal information to help us create, develop, operate, deliver, and improve our products, services, content and advertising, and for loss prevention and anti-fraud purposes.
– We may use your personal information, including date of birth, to verify identity, assist with identification of users, and to determine appropriate services. For example, we may use date of birth to determine the age of AIM ID account holders.
– From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about purchases and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with AIM, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
– We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve AIM’s products, services, and customer communications.
– If you enter into a sweepstake, contest, or similar promotion we may use the information you provide to administer those programs.
We also collect data in a form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:
– We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location, and the time zone where an AIM product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising.
– We may collect and store details of how you use our services, including search queries. This information may be used to improve the relevancy of results provided by our services. Except in limited instances to ensure quality of our services over the Internet, such information will not be associated with your IP address.
– With your explicit consent, we may collect data about how you use your device and applications in order to help app developers improve their apps.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
We use this information to understand and analyze trends, to administer the site, to learn about user behavior on the site, to improve our product and services, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. AIM may use this information in our marketing and advertising services.
At times AIM may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with AIM to provide products and services, or that help AIM market to customers. Personal information will only be shared by AIM to provide or improve our products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.
AIM shares personal information with companies who provide services such as information processing, extending credit, fulfilling customer orders, delivering products to you, managing and enhancing customer data, providing customer service, assessing your interest in our products and services, and conducting customer research or satisfaction surveys. These companies are obligated to protect your information and may be located wherever AIM operates.
It may be necessary – by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence – for AIM to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.
We may also disclose information about you if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
AIM takes the security of your personal information very seriously. AIM online services protect your personal information during transit using encryption such as Transport Layer Security (TLS). When your personal data is stored by AIM, we use computer systems with limited access housed in facilities using physical security measures. iCloud data is stored in encrypted form including when we utilize third party storage.
When you use some AIM products, services, or applications or post on a AIM forum, chat room, or social networking service, the personal information and content you share is visible to other users and can be read, collected, or used by them. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to share or submit in these instances. For example, if you list your name and email address in a forum posting, that information is public. Please take care when using these features.
You can help ensure that your contact information and preferences are accurate, complete, and up to date by logging in to your account at www.AIM.com. For other personal information we hold, we will provide you with access for any purpose including to request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate or delete the data if AIM is not required to retain it by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may decline to process requests that are frivolous/vexatious, jeopardize the privacy of others, are extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law. Access, correction, or deletion requests can be made through the regional Privacy Contact Form.
We understand the importance of taking extra precautions to protect the privacy and safety of children using AIM products and services. Accordingly, we do not knowingly collect, use or disclose personal information from children under 13, or equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction, without verifiable parental consent. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of a child under 13, or equivalent minimum age depending on jurisdiction, without first receiving verifiable parental consent we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible.
Children under the age of 13, or equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction, are not permitted to create their own AIM IDs, unless their parent provided consent through the AIM ID for Students Program or as part of the child account creation process in Family Sharing. For example, a parent must review the AIM ID and agrees to the Consent to AIM’s Collection, Use and Disclosure of Your Child’s Information; and the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions, before they can begin the AIM ID account creation process for their child.
If at any time a parent needs to access, correct, or delete data associated with their Family Sharing account or child’s AIM ID, they may contact us through our Privacy Contact Form.
Or by using the contact information below.
AIM websites, products, applications, and services may contain links to third-party websites, products, and services. Our products and services may also use or offer products or services from third parties. We encourage you to learn about the privacy practices of those third parties.
AIM abides by the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Cross Border Privacy Rules System. The APEC CBPR system provides a framework for organizations to ensure protection of personal information transferred among participating APEC economies.
To make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate our privacy and security guidelines to AIM employees and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within the company.
All such communications are examined and replies issued where appropriate as soon as possible. If you are unsatisfied with the reply received, you may refer your complaint to the relevant regulator in your jurisdiction. If you ask us, we will endeavor to provide you with information about relevant complaint avenues, which may be applicable to your circumstances.